As you all know the aroma of homemade roll is irresistible. These are really easy to prepare and the taste is far superior from the store bought. These could easily serve as a snack, lunch or party food and you can decide how big or small you want them to be.
Kneading is essential for bread making in order to develop gluten, you need about 10 minutes to do this which help rolls to retain the shape and accumulate a volume of carbon dioxide gas while rising. Try not the add too much flour during shaping and rolling. This makes the dough tougher.
Rising or proofing brings out flavor especially from the yeast. If your kitchen is on cool side, leave the dough in the oven with pilot light on.
Here is how this rolls are made:
2 and 1/2 C all purpose flour
4 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 T softened butter
2 and 1/2 tsp dry yeast
3/4 C warm milk
1 T milk powder
granulated sugar to sprinkle
C = cup
T = tablespoon
* Place 1 tablespoon sugar, dry yeast and milk in a small bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes until frothy.
* In a mixing bowl, add in flour, milk powder, remaining sugar, salt and yeast mixture, gradually add the milk. Combine to form into soft pliable dough. Knead by hand or use stand mixer for 10 minutes.
* Lightly grease the bowl,let rise for 1-2 hours or until double.
* Punch the air out, divide dough into 15 balls or shape as per your choice and place onto baking sheet, let rest for 45 minutes. Towards the end of rising time, preheat oven @ 180 C.
* Brush rolls with butter, sprinkle sugar on top, bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
* Cool on rack 20 minutes before serving.
Linking to Yeastspotting 10-22-10
100% Original Recipe Contest
Linking to These Chicks Cooked