LABRLS




Wednesday, December 15, 2010

SAVORY DIAMOND CUTS

Photobucket

Crispy, flaky and delicious deep fried snack comes in various names, some named  it as mathri, nimki, namak paare or pottiappam. What ever you called them, it is most popular snack throughout India.

This salty fried snack can be eaten anytime of the day with a cup of tea of as finger food. It is a great make ahead snack and to retain its crunchiness, do store them in airtight container. The key of making perfect diamond cuts is to fry them using medium heat so they cook evenly and you get that beautiful golden color. Adding pepper is optional, you can also add other spices if you want.

DIAMOND CUTS

1 C all purpose flour
2 T oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 C water (not all)
oil for deep frying

METHOD

* Place all the ingredients except water and oil in a mixing bowl.

* Gradually add water to form a pliable dough. Knead for 5 minutes. Form into a ball. Keep 30 minutes.

* Dust enough flour on your board, roll out into round. Poke the surface with a fork.

* Cut into 1 in strip then cut into diamond shape.

* Heat sufficient oil for deep frying. Slide the diamond cuts and fry until golden brown using medium heat.

* Transfer onto absorbent paper and cool.

* Store into airtight container.

34 comments:

Gayathri Kumar said...

Yummy snack. Love to have them with coffee..

Rumana Rawat said...

Even i do make this:)

Unknown said...

Love diamond cuts...one of my favorites during childhood days...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Sushma Mallya said...

looks crispy and you have done it perfectly...

adorasbox said...

Love deep fried snacks. Whatever kind, they always are tasty. These look great.

Tes said...

My mother-in-law taught me similar recipe recently but sweet version. I think this one sounds delicious, too.

Priya Suresh said...

I cant resist to this diamond cuts, feel like munching some..

Veggie Hut said...

nimki are my fav snacks.. my mom makes them often.. urs are looking very tempting..

Gayathri Kumar said...

There is an award waiting for you. Please accept..

Madhura Manoj said...

hmm soo tempting...love it.I usually make sweet version.


http://www.easycookingforamateurs.com/

Evan @swEEts said...

This little snack looks like something that could get me in trouble. And by trouble I mean eating a whole batch by myself!

divya said...

This looks awesome...mouth watering.

Swathi said...

Savory diamond cuts are my favorite, amma used to make it. It brought back lot of memories.

Dimah said...

yum, that looks delicious!!

Elaichii said...

Loved the perfect golden color!

Unknown said...

This is my son's favorite snack :)

Suja Manoj said...

My favorite snack...crispy and yummy.

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

tht looks so so delicious n mouthwatering....wow

Mrs K said...

I know...I know...I Love matthi's and can never seem to get enough of these.I enjoy them with every sip of my tea and keep refilling the plate;) Yours look so crunchy and nothing like home made matthi's.

Nandita SS said...

Yummy!!! Looks delicious!!!

Tahemeem said...

Love them anytime of the day :)

Jaisy James said...

diamond cut looks yummy

Binys Recipes said...

These diamonds are tempting...love it

Binys Recipes said...

These diamonds are tempting...love it

Peggy said...

This sounds like such a delicious snack! I bet they would be great in the morning with a cup of coffee or tea!

pigpigscorner said...

Great snack! Anything deep fired is yum =)

Priya Sreeram said...

i always go back with one more bookmarked recipe whenever i visit ur blog! keep rocking !!

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy said...

Perfect for munching with a cup of tea.!

Sarah Naveen said...

my fav..looks so perfect and yummy!!

Kavita Srivastava said...

yummm ...

Unknown said...

my mum makes this often ....we love it :)

JishasKitchen said...

it looks perfect and crispy...

Krishnaveni said...

my husband's fav, looks great

Amy Bakes Everything said...

Yummy! Quick snack that looks divine!