LABRLS




Sunday, July 21, 2013

KATIRA DRINK

Katira Drink Recipe @ treatntrick.blogspot.com


Beat the heat with this cool Katira Drink. This fabulous drink sweetened with sugar syrup will inspire guests to linger for one more glass. It  is  available only  during  the fasting month  from Ramadan bazaar throughout the South East Asian  countries.

You'll be amazed at the pleasing flavors that pop out when you combined  katira (gond katira), basil seed, kembang semangkok (malva nuts) with  evaporated milk.

This drink is made to drive away the heat inside the human body, cure sore throat, to counteract toxicity also has positive medicinal  effects on human bodies.

Before assembling the drink you need to soak the katira, kembang semangkok overnight until they expand and  prepare the sugar syrup by boiling the sugar and water  until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool to room temperature. Also soak the basil seed in cold boiled water until it swells then drain.

Add a sweet twist to this basic katira drink by adding  chopped dates/sweet corn,   one or two drops of yellow, red or green food coloring to it. With added color makes it look  festive and more enjoyable to drink.

Katira Drink Recipe @ treatntrick.blogspot.com

KATIRA DRINK
Serves    6-8
Adapted from Zarinah Anwar

1 cup sugar syrup
1 tablespoon katira (gum katira sap)
10 pieces kembang semangkok (scaphium)
1 level tablespoon basil seeds soaked
1 tall can (410g) evaporated milk
6 cups water
1 tsp rose water

METHOD

Katira Drink Recipe @ treatntrick.blogspot.com

                            Left   :   Kembang semangkok      Center :  Basil seed      Right  :  Katira

Prepare in advance:
Sugar syrup  :  Boil 3/4 cup sugar in 1 cup of water, adding 1 pandan leaf till sugar has dissolved

Katira          :   Soak overnight, romove dirt, strain. Rinse with water and strain again

Kembang semangkok    :     Soak overnight, remove skin and seed. Strain, rinse with cold water and strain again Soak in cool boiled water till it swells then strain.

Basil seeds   :   Soak in cold, boiled water till it swells then strain

Katira Drink Recipe @ treatntrick.blogspot.com

                                    After soaking -   Basil seed, kembang semangkok, katira

In a large bowl, add in katira, kembang semangkok and basil seeds.

Add sugar syrup, water, milk and rose water. Mix well.

Chill in a refrigerator or add ice cubes to serve.

Connect with me:

FACEBOOK /   INSTAGRAM /   YOU TUBE /     YOU TUBE   /      RSS    /     EMAIL  
 GOOGLE+  /  TWITTER  /    PINTEREST 


Bookmark and Share

Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

38 comments:

Nargis Aara said...

this drink seems interesting!!! But what is the ingredients in right and left? what are the indian names for it?

Suhaina said...

We have this almost everyday during the puasa month. Its so cooling and i just love the chewiness of katira when soaked...yumm. this is the only drink i like to have without any guilt.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Refreshing and healthy drink.
Deepa

Winnie said...

What a unique drink!!
I've never had such a drink and you've certainly got me curious :)

Anonymous said...

That looks interesting and the working of the drink sounds great. I'm afraid I won't be able to get all the ingredients though, because I live in The Netherlands.
Have a great day.

kitchen queen said...

delicious and interesting refreshing drink.

Unknown said...

This sure looks like a fun and tasty drink.

Rosita Vargas said...

Rica bebida me encanta sus ingredientes me encantaria probar,hugs.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Sweet and delicious, sounds so refreshing like a lassi :)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

P.S. To prepare for my exams now I won't be commenting for around 4 weeks - See you in a month my friend :)

Rachana said...

Thats a very new drink for me. Sounds very interesting.

mjskit said...

Well, here's some ingredients that I've never heard of. The drink looks delicious but I have no idea how it tastes. Looks like I need to do some research. I love new ingredients so thanks for introducing me to Kembang semangkok and katira!

great-secret-of-life said...

looks yummy never tasted it before

easyfoodsmith said...

Wow! That sounds amazing...Yum! Scaphium is a new ingredient for me.

Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

That sounds like a healthy drink for Iftar, delicious!

Chinese White & Yellow Tea said...

I love it ,and i want to drink it.
but my favourite is tea.

Brandi said...

This drink definitely looks interesting! I wouldn't know where to get some of the ingredients, though.

Jess said...

This sounds interesting!

Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

Unknown said...

Couple of ingredients I haven't tried, but sure thing the drink looks tasty.
Thanks for your nice words on the blog and I tried commenting on your blog yesterday and it wasn't working, I'm glad I got through today.

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

this is too tempting:)

Swathi said...

Very nice drink.

Unknown said...

I have never heard of some of the ingredients that you have listed, but I am eager to see if I can find some of these and make this lovely drink.

Thank you for sharing a the In and out of the Kitchen Link Party! I look forward to seeing what you bring next week!

Cynthia from Feeding Big

Unknown said...

Delicious and flavourful drink, looks so yummy.

Erin @ Table for 7 said...

Thank you for sharing at Share your Stuff Tuesdays!

Recipe world said...

Sounds very yummy n interesting! A must try recipe indeed..

Juliana said...

I never had anything like this...very interesting and sure refreshing.
Thanks for introducing me to something new.
Hope you are having a great week :D

Stacy Makes Cents said...

Interesting...those basil seeds look like chia seeds!
Visiting from Fantastic Thursday.

Gina Gao said...

This sounds like a really great drink!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love this! I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
Hugs, Cathy

Unknown said...

Very interesting. I haven't heard of some of these ingredients. Thanks for sharing at the Tried and True Recipe party.

Cindy Eikenberg, Little Miss Celebration said...

What a unique drink! Thank you so much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend! Pinning to our party board and hope you can join us next Friday. Have a fantastic week!

Katherines Corner said...

How wonderful. I have never heard of this. It must be very refreshing. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! I have never heard of this drink either too!
Thank you for today...I learned something new!
Cheers! Joanne
http://www.facebook.com/whatsonthelist
Viewing as part of HAPPY Day Link Party

Adelina Priddis said...

I have no idea what most of those ingredients are, but it looks like a delicious drink.
Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friday

Kathy Penney said...

I've had one of these dining out and they are so creamy and good! Pinning to my drink board. Thanks for sharing at All Things Pretty!

Unknown said...

Basil seeds kahan se milte h

Anonymous said...

Any Indian shop...Tukmaria hindi main!

The Lazy Gastronome said...

Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner party!! Have a fabulous weekend!

Donna @ Modern on Monticello said...

This does seem interesting. I will keep it in mind the next time I have a sore throat for sure or it is hot outside. #HomeMattersParty