LABRLS




Sunday, November 3, 2013

HODDEOK (KOREAN PANCAKE)



Hoddeok is a Korean hawker's delight. Made with yeast dough and stuffed with sweet filling,  almost the same as other bread with yeast that requires rising.

After stuffing is done, it is flatten and lightly fried in oil on heated cast iron pan. When it turned brown, flip over and flatten the dough using your spatula. Care should be taken when pressing the dough, otherwise it will burst out.

Normally it was stuffed with brown sugar and nuts but this time I had used peanut butter and jelly as its stuffing.

The contrasting flavor from the plain dough and the sweet filling makes this Hoddeok  a great snack!

HODDEOK (KOREAN PANCAKE)
Yield :   8 pancake

2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoon oil

FILLING
8 tablespoon peanut butter
8 tablespoon jelly of your choice

DIRECTION

Place flour in a mixing bowl.

Combine warm water,  sugar and yeast.

Pour the yeast mixture onto the flour, sprinkle the salt. Combine until it forms into soft dough.

Place the dough into greased and covered bowl. Let rise for  1 hour or until double in size.

Divide dough into  8 balls, add flour if it is too sticky.  Place  the filling ingredients in a small bowl.




Flatten each ball, place a tablespoonful of filling, seal the edges and shape into a ball again.




Heat little oil in a cast iron pan, place 2 balls on the hot pan, seams side down and fry then flip after the bottom is slightly browned,  flatten the ball using the spatula.  Cook until  golden brown. Complete the rest of the dough.

Serve hot.

Connect with me:

FACEBOOK /     YOU TUBE /     YOU TUBE   /      RSS    /     EMAIL  /  GOOGLE+ 

34 comments:

Nandita SS said...

What a hearty pancake! Loved the recipe :)

Unknown said...

Wow. I am drooling. I will try to make these soon but with something else to replace peanut butter as I don't like it.
Thanks for sharing.

kitchen queen said...

delicious and tempting pancake.

Midnight Cowgirl said...

That looks really good!

Renuka said...

Wow! Sounds delicious. I love pancakes. :)

Unknown said...

Very interesting, love bread in any form.

Sangeetha Priya said...

delicious pancakes...

Winnie said...

How Unique!!
These are looking soooooooooo Good.
I need to try this recipe
Pinned

mail4rosey said...

I bet it does taste good with a peanut butter and jelly filling. Very nice!

sillygirl said...

I have made your other one with brown sugar and nuts - yum! - this must be just as good.

sillygirl said...

I have made your other version with brown sugar and nuts - yum! - this must be just as good!

Katerina said...

Mmm, peanut butter and jelly? Count me in!

Jess said...

What an interesting concept! Yum!

Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

Carole said...

I hadn't heard of this sort of pancake before - great idea to stuff them with a nice surprise. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

With A Blast said...

Interesting recipe ! Pinned to try :-)

Baking Kings said...

Looks yummy, and interesting, I'd never heard of Korean pancakes before. Thanks for sharing on Share YOur Stuff Tuesdays.

Unknown said...

What a great recipe...I will have to try this...something new for the kids!

Thanks so much for being part of The Great Blog Train!!

Laura @ Mice In The Kitchen

http://www.miceinthekitchen.com/

Unknown said...

Hi

I absolutely love your easy yet delectable looking hoddeoks!! They look great for an afternoon snack.

As the Aspiring Bakers are having a Korean-Feast of Hansik, do join us with this healthy treat of yours at http://gracephua.blogspot.sg/2013/10/aspiring-bakers-37-korean-feast-of_31.html

easyfoodsmith said...

Sounds so delicious - crisp on the outside and filled with sweet goodness inside.

Sushma Mallya said...

this is something very new to me, but would love to explore korean cuisine...looks so good

Michelle B said...

This is a new dish for me. I love the idea of having a filled pancake and there are so many possibilities. Thank you for linking with See Ya in the Gumbo and thank you for introducing me to something new!

Katherines Corner said...

I would love to try these. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. You help to make it so much fun.♥

Andi said...

your filled pancakes are beautiful. and along with peanut butter and jelly so cute. andi

Eli@coachdaddy said...

These will be made at my house on Monday for my daughter's 13th birthday breakfast.

We will fill them with the things we use in crepes - cream cheese, jelly and chocolate chips.

Timely!

Visiting you through #LOBS today.

Rosita Vargas said...

Se ven muy deliciosas su relleno me encanta que rica es la pasta de maní,abrazos.

Unknown said...

thank you linking up with us on MMM link up! I think my kids would love these. I think I'll try them out in the morning! I shared this on the Adventures In Mindful Livings FB page becasue they just look very tasty! I shared what they were becasue I didnt want people to overlook them!

Britni said...

Anything stuffed with filling is good in my book. Thanks for sharing on the weekend re-Treat link party!

Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

Kathy said...

stuffed pancakes - love it! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Susan@Organized31 said...

What a yummy treat (I wish I had one now at 11pm). Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

Anonymous said...

wow it is looking too good

Buba4Turtle said...

Yummy! I also love Korean Kimchi pancakes!

I found your post at #SmallVictoriesSundayLinkup !

laurensparks.net said...

Sounds delish! Visiting you from the hearth and soul link party.

Olivia O'Hern said...

These look delicious, definitely will try soon!

Indah Nuria Savitri said...

Lovely pancake you have here! I should try it at home. And thank you for joining us at #OMHGWW and I chose this post to be featured :)